Prof Joby Boxall
University of Sheffieldj.email@example.com
TWENTY65 Principal Investigator
Tel: 0114 222 5760
Prof. Boxall´s research interests are concerned with understanding and modelling hydraulic, water quality and infrastructure performance throughout the natural and urban environment. His research interests are multi-disciplinary and have a number of cross cutting themes that include research in full-scale live systems, pilot and laboratory systems, with the application of theoretical, computational and analytical approaches, including software development. Specific themes include:
- The monitoring, modelling, operation and management of potable water distribution systems for both quantity, with an emphasis on leakage, and quality encompassing physical, biological and chemical changes and interactions
- The dynamics and impacts of pollutants in open channel systems
- The hydraulic and pollution performance of urban drainage systems
- Application of ICT for data collection from disparate urban water systems, together with computation (soft computing) techniques to turn data to information to knowledge
- Asset management and whole life costs, including energy and carbon, associated with water distribution and sewer systems
Activities and Distinctions
- Research manager leading the stimulation and development of a strategic programme of research for potable water distribution systems within the Pennine Water Group (EPSRC platform grant centre) and the Yorkshire Water Services strategic partnership.
- Senate Award winner for development of Student Centred Hydraulics Laboratory Classes, to promote inquiry based learning at an early stage in undergraduate study.
- Regular consultant to water industry for services in water distribution systems, particularly related to discoloured water.
- Member of the College of the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC).
- Director of SWIG (Sensors for Water Interest Group)
- Water Industry Achievements Awards 2010, IWEX University Challenge Award Winner
- Founder member of the Water Treatment and Supply network.